Self-hosted WordPress blog and xml-rpc.php problem
I tried to troubleshoot one major feature related to my blog posting last few months. Every time I tried to connect to my blog using Windows Live Writer, Microsoft Word or some add-on to my browser, it ends with error. Software wasn’t able to connect to my Word Press engine. I tried to disable add-ons on my Word Press, I tried to update Word Press engine to never version, but nothing helps and I had to write my posts using web interface.
I discovered, that Word Press engine made some “improvements” to secure the connectivity services – concretely the web services for posting etc. It is related to xml-rpc.php file, which is used for these functionalities. Unfortunately like in other cases, this security rule is related only to a name of file, so if you connect to your site, where Word Press engine is uploaded and just rename the file xml-rpc.php to for example xxx.php and then In connection settings of some software put this address, everything will just start to work as expected.
Simple solution…but a lot of searching and trying to troubleshoot…